Friday, January 20, 2017

Off-Grid Laundry

Washing Machine: 
(Photo from Lehman's

I purchased this off-grid, home washing machine in January 2015 and have been doing the majority of my laundry by hand since. I use the coin operated machines in the apartment building for sheets, blankets, and towels as well as anytime I am sick or have an injury. This machine was a sort of litmus test to see if we'd be truly able to go 'off-grid' in the future and thankfully I really enjoy doing laundry this way. I've found that it actually has encouraged me to wear those articles of clothing that are a bit more unusual than my regular t-shirts and jeans. For example, I used to avoid wearing a specific coloured shirt because it would get dingy if I washed it with unlike colours but I did not have enough similar coloured clothing to warrant a complete laundry cycle but with a small machine such as this I can easily wash and wear! The Wonder Wash has a few design problems but the basic barrel works well. I took the suction cups off the bottom of the stand and never use the drain spout. 

I have found that off-grid laundry is easier if you do small batches on a regular basis rather than accumulate dirty laundry that results in a long and tiring laundry day. I do 2 or 3 loads twice a week.  


Soap:
(Photo from Well.ca)

I've been using soap nuts for several years for laundry. They are a naturally occurring tree product but is imported. I like that the this is a natural product but the imported nature bothers me. There are several 'soap' replacements that can be grown in North America which I will look into in the future. This is the best choice for me in the meantime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment