Saturday, November 5, 2016

Plot 13: Garden 2016

As 2016 was my first year gardening, I had one simple garden goal for the year - GROW SOMETHING!

This was my first year gardening so I wasn't even sure I would enjoy it - but thankfully I love everything about gardening.

I planted these 'Red Russian Kale' on 2 May 2016 - which is remarkably early for Yellowknife - under home made pop bottle cloches. That seemed to work remarkably well as they guys have lived through several frosts. As the weather warmed up they grew quickly!


Another project I tried in the garden was the use of olla pots - which are simply buried clay pots as a form of irrigation. I picked up some unglazed terra cotta pots from the store and buried them in the garden. They seem to be working quite well and have been keeping my kale nicely watered. 










My garden was a bit thin when compared to other folks in my community garden site but I think this is a wonderful and successful first garden!  

You can read all about my garden plans, adventures, and misadventures in my new zine. 







No comments:

Post a Comment