Sunday, November 6, 2016

Lessons from a Newbie Woodworker

My first woodworking projects have taught me a lot --- here are a few things I've learned!



Friends are Your Best Resource: I was having a very difficult time removing 4 inch nails from the reclaimed wood I planned on using for the bench and I made a random Facebook post asking not-at-all seriously for advice and some seemingly unlikely folks offered some tremendously helpful advice.

Approach Every Project as an Opportunity to Learn: I am shocked at how much I learned from only a few successful wood projects. A lot of this 'learning' is abstract and non-tangible which means it is hard to qualify the lessons learned but your ability shows when you approach a new project. When I built my reclaimed wood bench I researched the project extensively and had a detailed plan to follow but when I built my second project (a dog leash organiser) I designed on the fly. To me, this depicts how much my woodworking knowledge has grown from a few simple projects.



Start Small to Build Confidence: Starting with small, easier projects is important to ensure success and each successful project accumulates into woodworking confidence! A bench is a bit much for a beginner project as a bench has to withstand use and weight. I would suggest smaller, decorating items for the absolute beginner woodworker.






No comments:

Post a Comment